Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Recycled Crayons (Earth Day!)

Since Earth Day is soon approaching, I wanted to do something special with Tyson. We have tons of used and abused crayons, along with new ones from a recent art project I did. (The other project I did was called "crayon melting art". I'll post a link at the end of this blog if anyone is interested in learning more.)


 I got inspired from Pinterest once again, and decided to try out recycled crayons. First what you want to do is take the paper off the crayons. Then place all the crayons in cold water. Let them sit for an hour, and most of the paper will slide right off!
 Afterwards, I chopped up crayon bits, and placed them in colored groups. The one I'm making here is for the "earth". We only made one of these, but I was very impressed on the way it turned out. For the other crayon "cupcakes", I didn't bother to chop them up. I let most of the crayons stay in a larger pieces.
 For the earth: I added blue, two different shades of green and a small amount of white crayons. I then placed them in a muffin tin.(Make sure to spray your muffin tin with cooking oil. Or, you can use a cupcake liner!)
 Then, for the rest of the crayons, I let my son group the colors he wanted together. Make sure your oven is preheated to 275 degrees.
 I allowed the crayons to melt/bake for about 6-8 minutes. The time varies with each oven. Keep a close eye on the crayons, and as soon as they are completely melted, take them out. Allow them to cool completely before removing from the pan.
 This is the final product of the earth crayon!! I'm very happy with the results, and my son thought it was very pretty.
 Here are the multicolored crayons, along with the earth! These would make really cute gifts as well! You could use a heart shaped muffin tin, and give them out as valentines. A great alternative to chocolate, and inexpensive as well.
The crayons colored nicely on paper! At first Tyson was a bit intimidated of the circled crayons, but he soon got the hang of it!


Here is the project I was talking about at the beginning of this blog. Please feel free to check it out! I love crayons, and I love even more I was able to make this awesome art with them!

2 comments:

  1. Cute.. the earth one turned out sooo well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, very cool! I love the Earth recycled crayon idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...