Sunday, November 11, 2012

Gluten Intolerance - Rashes & Symptoms!


I wanted to share this photo of my son. For the past two days we have been struggling with keeping rashes under control. Rashes are one of the main indicators that he has came in contact with gluten. Other indications are extra dark circles under his eyes, stomach issues, painful bowel movements and behavioral problems. Typically by the fourth or fifth day his rashes have cleared up. Also, his bowel movements are back to normal. Gross, I know... But, maybe my experiences/information will help someone. :)

To keep the rashes under control, we have been using an over the counter hydrocortisone cream. It's best to use a prescribed one, but unfortunately we do not have any left.

The other day I caught him sneaking Mr. Noodles out of his friends bowl. I was keeping my fingers crossed it wouldn't effect him, but unfortunately it did. I feel for him because he wants to eat all the same foods his friends do. But, I will do everything in my power to make his foods delicious and appealing. Especially since he'll be starting school in the fall. (I recently filled out all the paper work to enroll him, and... It wasn't easy. I have to admit, I had a little meltdown. My baby is growing up!) I really hope by the time school comes we will have his curiosity under control. But, who am I trying to fool. He is a child, and I don't blame him for wanting to try out yummy treats. Heck, if I had the intolerance, I would be VERY curious as well. I guess the best thing I can do is educated him as much as possible about gluten free choices.



I've also been meaning to post these two pictures from when my son was a baby. At this point we had no idea he had a gluten intolerance. We used tons of antibiotics, ointments, and creams. We tried to sooth the rashes with warm oatmeal baths, but it made it worse. (Why? Because oats can be contaminated with gluten!!) Thank goodness we visited an apothecary clinic where he was tested for a gluten allergy! Ta-Da! That's when all the symptoms started to diminish and we had a much happier little boy. -- If any of you are suffering from horrible rashes/eczema, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting ect. Please look into getting tested for a gluten/wheat allergy. (Or any other food allergy in fact!) It is estimated that up to 40% of our population is gluten sensitive, and more than half of the people don't realize it!

I have made two short videos about celiac disease and what gluten is. Please feel free to check them out. I plan to do make updated videos in the near future.


If you have any questions regarding this topic, please don't hesitate to message me. As I've stated previously, I do not claim to be an expert, physician or nutritionist. - I am just a mother who has decided to share information, recipes, tips and tricks to others who have gluten intolerance's/allergies.This is NOT a medical blog. For serious medical advice/information please consult your health-care provider.

1 comment:

  1. hi! im one girl 19 year that i have the same problem as your son, firs time when i was a childreen and second now before three years ago ,now read this histori of your son and i want to contact with you . thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...