Thursday, January 17, 2013

ABA Therapy Update

I rarely post personal blogs, but I may do so more often. Today we found out Tyson will be getting a new afternoon therapist. For those of you who don't know, my son receives ABA therapy 5 days a week. He has one therapist from 8am-10am, then another from 10:30am-12:30pm. All throughout Tyson's therapy journey, he has had several different teachers. This time around, he's going to work with a male. This will be a different change for him. He's only worked with female therapists, I'm staying positive and hoping everything works out.

ABA therapy has helped Tyson tons. Today I realized he isn't stimming and scripting as much as usual. His speech has been excellent as well. Actually... His speech is a little too good lately... Tyson's afternoon therapists told me she caught him swearing for the first time! (I'm not sure who he heard it from... But, it definitely makes you feel like a bad parent.) Thankfully Tyson's afternoon therapist has two boys of her own and just got a giggle out of it. (I guess mommy and daddy have to be extra careful speaking around Tyson!)

We also received a letter from Tyson's case manager. He has missed 153 hours of therapy! Because of all the therapists changes, the center cancelled a lot of his appointments. I'm not sure how we are going to make the hours up. Tyson already has long 4 hour days. We are thinking about getting him tested again, and focusing more time on the skills he's lacking in.

On the 30th Tyson has a meeting at the elementary school he'll be attending in the fall. I'm starting to get very nervous. I'm really hoping he's on his best behavior. School is such a big and new experience for him. (And, for me too!) He's rarely away from me, and when he is, it isn't for a long period of time. I know school is the best for him, I'm just anxious and worried how he'll be. I have to let my baby fly by himself, I realize this... It's just so hard!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...