Thursday, April 4, 2013

Unbirthday Party

For those of you who don't know, I'm involved with an organization called Daybreak. It is a peer support activity center. It provides social, recreational and educational activities for adult mental health consumers. If you're interested in learning more about Daybreak, please visit their website.
http://daybreakcentre.ca/about/




My friend (Melody Petlock) who is the leader of Daybreak, had a fantastic idea. She wanted to have a "unbirthday party" for all the members. That way we could celebrate everyone's birthday, and show them how much we care.

My mother and I adore being creative, so we decided to take on party planning by ourselves.
The theme of the party was based on Alice in wonderland. My son dressed up as the white rabbit, I dressed up as the Cheshire cat and my mother dressed up as the Queen of hearts.

We wanted the party to look whimsical. We created centerpieces out of old tea cups, glued googly eyes on flowers, made mushrooms out of cardboard and added splashes of color wherever we could.

We created a few games and a little activity for everyone to participate in. We played bingo with cards,
pin the grin on the Cheshire cat and created funky hats.

We served an assortment of cold foods such as salads, cheeses, cold-cut meats etc.
I also made a brightly colored cake
that everyone seemed to enjoy. We also made sure everyone received a gift for their unbirthday and a goodie bag.
The party was a huge success! I'm so happy I was able to help out. I can't wait to plan future parties!



















































"There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents, and only one for birthday presents, you know." -- Lewis Carroll


2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures! What a great idea for a party where everyone is the guest of honour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tasha! :) It really was lots of fun. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...