Tuesday, April 2, 2013

World Autism Awareness Day 2013

The whole month of April is dedicated to autism awareness. It makes me SO happy that the spectrum is becoming more talked about.

Tyson, Alan (Dad) and I are so lucky to have such supporting people in our lives. We can't thank everyone enough for all the love, support and respect we've been given. At first people had a hard time understanding Ty's diagnoses, but within time it became the normal.

I've decided that I would like to dedicate a few blog posts to autism. I want to write about our journey with autism, diagnoses and everyday life. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in reading them. But, maybe I can help shine some light on other families.



Getting ready for therapy this morning was draining. (Both for me and Tyson) He has missed so many therapy sessions, that's he's completely off track. Just saying the word "work" drove him into a screaming rage. Thankfully my amazing fiance helped me. He was calm, patient and very gentle with Ty. (Even though Ty was the complete opposite.) I'm so thankful to have such a supportive fiance. He's a great father to Tyson, and truly takes the time to get down to his level. This autism journey would be a difficult road to travel without him.

After almost 45 minutes of struggling with Ty, he agreed to do work. It was a process to get him to say yes, but he did it! I look forward to him being back on track. I'm sure within a week or two, he'll be much calmer. Especially since his therapy hours will be bumped up to four hours again. (For those of you who don't know. Tyson has been receiving only two hours of therapy daily. His old therapist ended up getting a new career. So, we've been waiting for a new teacher.) Thankfully Tyson is getting to meet his new therapist today! (YAYYY! Happy dance!) I hope she enjoys working with Ty. I know how much of a handful he can be.


Days like these just makes me appreciate the really good days so much more. Tyson has shown me how to truly appreciate the small things in life.

Being a parent of an autistic child isn't always easy. But, it's such a rewarding job. Every small accomplishment is worth all the struggle.

***

Someone with autism makes me proud every single day. He calls me mommy! ♥ Sending love, support and understanding to everyone on the spectrum.

Happy autism awareness day! Spread the word, get involved. Together, we can solve the puzzle!

4 comments:

  1. Happy World Autism Awareness Day!

    Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your life as a parent with a child who has Autism.

    We are doing a Blogging for Autism Campaign on Kawartha Lakes Mums this month, and been learning a great deal from our online friends already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog post and comment. I truly appreciate it. :) There is so much to learn about autism. My son is 5, and I learn something new everyday. It's never a dull moment, that's for sure.

      It's fantastic that there is a blogging campaign for autism. It warms my heart to know there is so much awareness being spread.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. You're a very strong and patient mother. You are all lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment made me tear up. (Happy tears of course!) Thank you so much Jennifer. Comments like yours make blogging worth it. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...