Wednesday, May 1, 2013

1st Blood Test

I've been dreading getting Tyson's blood tested. He hasn't had it done since he was a newborn. His pediatrician wants to make sure his iron and sugar levels are good. Especially since he has a gluten intolerance. 

I've had myself worked up about this appointment for days. All I could think about was Tyson being traumatized by the needle. I couldn't get the thought out of my head.

Well, today was the big day... And, it went great! I am SO happy and relieved. Tyson's Nana (my mom) came in the room with us. The nurse explained what she was going to do, and was very calm and sweet. She told Tyson she was putting a "seat belt" around his arm, and that she had to find a special spot in his arm. Tyson smiled, and went along with it. I passed Ty my phone so he could get his mind off what was happening. Once the nurse inserted the needle in his arm, Tyson's face flinched. He whined a little, but nothing like I expected. When the nurse was finished drawing blood, everyone in the clinic cheered and clapped. It brought tears to my eyes. They were all very caring and understanding. Afterwards Tyson got to choose a band-aid, and toy.

I can't thank the nurses enough. They were absolutely fantastic and helped make Tyson's first blood test great. (As great as a blood test can be, that is!) Hopefully the next one will go just as well.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it went well. My son needs to have blood drawn periodically to check on some health issues and it's never fun for any of us but it does get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, your son is a trooper! :) I hope his health issues are getting better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Tyson's tests come back good.

      Thank you for always taking the time to check out my blog!
      *hugs*
      Melly

      Delete
  2. yea!!! the first time my oldest daughter was going to get immunized I screamed STOP! right before the shot and said they could not do this to her. My husband had to take her for the shots. Does get easier though...my daughter had to take iron for a little while when she was young. good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Watching your child get immunized is NO fun! I cried the whole time my son got his shots, haha! He has to have shots before school... I'm sure he'll be stronger than I will. ;) It's great your doctors found out your daughter needed iron supplements. I'm sure it made a ton of difference. :) Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to relate to other mommy's.
      *hugs*

      Delete
  3. I remember those days! Its hardon us Moms to see our Children scared or in pain., It sounds like you had a wonderful nurse!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Tyson (and I) are so lucky to have had a great nurse. If we need to go back anytime soon, I want to ask for her. :)

      Delete
  4. Me too Tash! You know how worried I was! I'm so happy it went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...