Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hot Dog Sugar Cookies

This is one of my favorite gluten free sugar cookie recipes. They are moist, fluffy and so simple to make. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try out gluten free cookies. The only down side is, they don't mold as well as regular dough. But, if you add a little extra powdered sugar, it will hold better.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (softened)
4 oz  cream cheese (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend

Step 1:
In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.

Step 2:
Add sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and mix well.

Step 3:
Gradually add flour and mix until combined.

Step 4:
Allow the dough to chill in the fridge overnight. Make sure you place the dough in an air tight container. Or, use plastic wrap.

Step 5:
Determine how many cookies you'd like to make. Then, roll out as many balls of uncolored dough as you'd like. They will be made into "buns". Afterwards, create the same amount of smaller balls for the hot dogs. (Dye the smaller balls a reddish color.)

Step 6:
Now it's time to shape the cookies! Start off by using your hands to mold the hot dog bun. It's easiest to push the dough into your pinky finger to make a slit. Continue to shape the bun until you're satisfied with the look.

Step 7:

Grab your red ball of dough, and create a hot dog shape. You can do this by rolling it on a flat surface, or using your hands. Place the hot dog inside the bun, and continue to shape if needed.

Step 8:
Place the finished cookie on a ungreased baking sheet, and continue to complete each cookie.

Step 9:
Place in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow plenty of time for cookies to cool before decorating.

Step 10:
Now, the best part! Decorating! For mustard and ketchup, pipe a curvy stripe of colored frosting down the middle of each hotdog. For relish, use either green colored coconut flakes. Or, green cut up candy. (I used fruit snacks.) Admire and enjoy!!!












12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! :) They were yummy!

      Delete
  2. These cookies are adorable! I love the relish. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! The relish was my little ones favorite part too haha!

      Delete
  3. Wow, those cookies turned out great! You know I've never thought to make cookies this way. How awesome! I will definitely look into making some. Thanks for sharing, and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so very much Stephanie! The dough I used was a little too sticky, but thankfully I was able to make it work. If you try out hot dog cookies, I'd love to see. :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! I love that they are gluten free also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is on a gluten free diet. He's unable to eat the typical foods other kids his age can.... So, I try my best to be creative. :) I appreciate you stopping by and commenting! :) Thank you! I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  5. Wow!, looks like so much fun. Very original and looks delicious too. Thanks for sharing, I have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for checking out my blog and commenting! :) I'm glad you like this post. *hugs*

      Delete
  6. The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much! I truly appreciate it! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...