Tuesday, March 31, 2015

World Autism Day 2015

Happy (almost) world autism day! As most people know, my son is on the autism spectrum. In honor of April 2nd, I thought I'd write a blog about our experiences.
I always knew something was unique about Tyson. When he was a baby, he would often be in his own world. I fought with doctors and explained that my child needed extra help. He wasn't reaching milestones, rarely responded to his name and seemed lost. They all thought I was overreacting and said "he's just a boy, he'll grow out of it." At 11 months, Tyson couldn't sit up without assistance. My family doctor referred us to an Occupational Therapist. (Unfortunately, it wasn't much help at the time. We were only able to receive monthly appointments.) to how to pull up, crawl and even walk.

After a two year battle, Tyson was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He was three years old, and showed characteristics that finally made the doctors realize I wasn't crazy. He went to speech therapy, along with ABA therapy. Things were starting to come together, and I saw more life in my sons eyes. The ABA therapists at Autism Consultants NB were amazing. They taught him life skills, and prepared him for kindergarten. I can't thank them enough for what they did for him, and continue to do for others.


Tyson is now 7 years old and
attending a fantastic elementary school. All the teachers and staff are so understanding. They go out of their way to be kind and never hesitate to help. Ty struggles with fine motor skills, but is getting better each day. It amazes me how far he's come.


As I sit here reflecting on the past 7 years, I can't help but smile. Autism and motherhood have taught me so much.


  • Patience beyond measure.
  • Unconditional acceptance
  • Quality is more important than quantity  
  • Sensory processing disorder is real.
  • Always celebrate even the smallest of victories.
  • There's a difference between meltdowns and tantrums.
  • Teachers deserve bigger pay cheques.
  • Never stop fighting for what you believe in.
  • "Normal" is overrated
  • No words are more beautiful than "I love you mommy!"
  • We all need a little quiet time once in awhile.
Most importantly, I've learned that Autism doesn't define my child. It makes him one of a kind, and I wouldn't want it any other way.



Please feel free to check out an older post I wrote about
World Autism Awareness Day

4 comments:

  1. My 2.5 year old was diagnosed 4 months ago. She is also going to acnb. She is the most smart, beautiful baby girl I could have ever dreamed of. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for writing it. It gives me hope for when she is seven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment. It truly means a lot. Your daughter sounds like such a wonderful little girl. I'm so happy she's receiving help from the center. I know she'll benefit tons! Please feel free to message me anytime. It's always refreshing knowing other autism moms. You aren't alone. *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I love that you're honest about the struggles we went through when it came to Tyson's diagnosis. It was a fight to get him the proper help he needed. I will be the first to admit that I was in denial of him needing assistance. He has overcome so much in 7 years. I cherish all the fun we have together and the joy he has brought to our lives. You have made me proud by sharing your experiences through your words. I would like to thank autism for all their support and assistance in helping make Ty the person he is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((hugs))) It was so much easier having our youngest diagnosed - but we too got the "he's a boy, boys talk later" for quite some time with Connor. Your list of the things you've learned hits home for me too - especially teachers! The great ones are worth their very weight in gold. I've found a great respect for my own instincts as well - after all, who knows a child better than his parents?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...